A kind of test run for the pantheon of mixes that will follow, and inspired by the
UFO lecture samples I have mixed in there, I have hereby dubbed this ugly master:
"GREEN ACID COMMUNION TEST"
The mix was made by your host, DJ Mercenary, on a hungover Sunday, April 4th 2010.
I have culled most of the tracks from my sets at two Mega Therion club nights
= "The Grand Hangover" and "Night Of The Warlocks."
Most of the tracks are made between the late 60s/early 70s. Including quite a few tracks from my superstitious years of 1971/72 - in which a mighty lot of great acid rock/psych was made! I have tried to list all the dates under the track list below with a short comment about the track itself.
Recommended listening instructions include playing at a high volume, with some of your finest medicinal herbs, outside in the park on a sunny day or inside with candles or nice lamps, tea . . . cats . . . hepcats . . . and some nice vibes!
Please enjoy and feel free to comment underneath the track list below.
OK FOLKS - DOWNLOAD AND LISTEN TO THIS MOTHER! (NEW MEDIAFIRE LINK):
MEDIAFIRE
You can also listen to it here (but the download function is no longer available on this Soundcloud link!):
MEGA THERION GREEN ACID COMMUNION PODCAST by CLUBMEGATHERION
TRACK1

EGO LOSS by Peter Michael Hamel
from the album Voice Of Silence
1973
This song is really strange. Some kind of Tibetan chanting inspired performance which includes some creepy indistinct lyrics and cries of anguish. I love using this as an intro to psych or acid-rock sets.
You have to realise the environment this kind of music was made in and made for at the time. You have to drop out to really understand this vibe I think or have the kind of mind that really picks up that frequency!
I have overdubbed the track with a dialogue taken from a
lecture by Karla Turner - a prominent UFO freak!
Look her up for a real mind trip!
TRACK2

BALLAD OF THE HIP DEATH GODDESS by Ultimate Spinach
from the album Ultimate Spinach
1967
Dubbed with some Wizard Of Oz from more green acid textures!
A well known classic, Ultimate Spinach make it on to most everyone's playlist at some point or other - or at least they should if you're really into this kind of psych rock. The whole album is completely overwhelmingly brilliant. A total gem. If you don't already know this then I command that you go and download it - it will remain one of your favourites for life.
TRACK3

IS THIS REALLY ME? by J.C. Heavy
from the album Do What You Like/Is This Really Me?
1971
Goddamn this band makes bands like The Devil's Blood "sound like Fleetwood Mac" (comment copyright Ilia Rodriguez 2010!). This band are the originators . . .don't forget where bands like Jex Thoth glean their influences. Go to the source for the heaviest and soulful vibes. This is the real thing. I adore the vocals . . .
TRACK4

COSMIC TANGO by Ash Ra Tempel
from the album Starring Rosi
1973
This is from my fave Ash Ra Tempel album. I am not sure why I like it so much but it really felt like I had heard it before even when I heard it for the first time - like in a past life or something?!! - I think it's been hugely influential in DJ circles outside of the genre and esp with jazzy/funky electronic guys and in Hip Hop. . . .I'm sure I have def heard this in a Madlib DJ session at some point . . .
TRACK5

WITCHES WAND by Luv Machine
from the album Luv Machine
1971
This is from a total collectors item album. Really bad ass grooving rock that defies you not to dance and bang your head like a raving maniac! The album was apparently not released until after the band split up - so they were unable to become the success that they should have been. Really classic solos and the sound is totally genuine authentic real deal stuff.
TRACK6

IT'S BEEN SENT DOWN by The Exkursions
from the compilation album Holy Fuzz
Track originally from 1971
I love this compilation of heavy Christian acid fuzz-rock. This track is my favourite but it's all pretty crushing and bruising stuff . . .
TRACK7

DARK REFLECTIONS by Analogy
from the album Analogy & The Suite
1972
Extremely surreal vocals but heavy as hell music. I can't really compare this band to anyone else. They had a really original style for the time. Obviously the vocals are WAY ahead of their time - you didn't hear stuff like this again until the 80s! You might find this hard to listen to on account of the vocals - but give it a chance! You've got to!
TRACK8

CHURCH WITHOUT A NAME by The First Edition
from the album First Edition
1967
This is Kenny fucking Rogers! I just love his voice on this track. It's really almost proto-metal! You might only hear soul blues here but to me this is as psyched out as you can get. The lyrics and vibe really encapsulate the idea of psychedelic music era. Damn sweet.
TRACK9

FIFTEEN by Highway Robbery
from the album For Love Or Money
1972
This has been described by someone I know as a "hard rock blaster"! I don't think you can make anything as bad ass and cool as this anymore. This is one of the heaviest and rocking songs I have ever heard. It is impossible not to enjoy and rock out to this fucking awesome track! Eat that, sucker!
TRACK10

LOOKING FOR JUNE by Gary Higgins
from the album Red Hash
1973
I am entranced by this song. The sound and melody is just bewitching. Such a golden and good warm feeling that blooms from this song. Truly beautiful.
TRACK11

THE NEWS IS YOU by The Search Party
from the album Montgomery Chapel
1969
Great vocals again and a killer fuzz guitar sound from these Christian warriors! This is a blistering wild ride of a track. Most Christian folkrock LPs "suffer from still having one foot left in Sunday School, but these young seminarians have definitely broken through to the other side!" Haunting, dark and beautiful atmospheres.
TRACK12

BLACK CAT by Magic Carpet
from the album Magic Carpet
1971
The vocals on this song are so dreamy. Nothing better than to sit and trip out to a track like this in the spring/summer or a good day. Fills me with nostalgia.
TRACK13

FOLLOW YOU HOME by UFO
from the 7" Boogie For George/Follow You Home
1971
A real rocking rocker! For the last year I thought this song was called "follow you GOME" since I had written it down wrong! I think that's a way cooler/weirder title!!
TRACK14

SOUL SONG by Saturnalia
from the album Magical Love
1973
I have to credit Andy from Code for turning me on to this band. I love the vocals and the themes - really like an occult Jefferson Airplane! I would die to own the vinyl. The artwork and lyrics look stunning. Damn this is some good shit right here!
TRACK15

Try, Try To Understand Yourself by Bob Smith
from the album The Visit
1970
A backup band that featured members of the Mothers of Invention, this album by Bob Smith is luxury psych. I totally love the lyrics - they're so completely powerful! I just adore the vibe of this track - it's really poignant and the sound really blows me away . . ."the truth is within your soul if you want it, the keys to the universe are in your heart." To me this stuff means more than a hundred thousand bands of the time. A total classic . . .
I finish this mix with a section of the same lecture by Karla Turner.
"WHAT SHE CALLS THE MUSHROOM MEN WHO COME IN TO HER ROOM AT NIGHT . . . ABOUT 2 FEET TALL. . .MAYBE THEY SIZE THEM DOWN WHEN THEY TAKE THOSE HUMAN FETUSES AND GROW THEIR LITTLE WORKERS FROM THEM?"
Yes, quite . . .
7 comments:
A truly great and soulful compilation! Enjoyed it this morning...
Here's a blog address that has many 60s & 70s gems put together (if you didn't already know). Some great works to be found here also!
Take care.
http://aftersabbath.blogspot.com/
Thank you. Great mix.
Brilliant mix! So many strange stones unturned...
Incredible mix,each track is absolutely mesmerizing. I knew Kenny Rogers had a good voice but damn!
loooove it!!!
phantastic..
looooove it!
phantastic..
Loved the compilation. I especially love the female haunting vocals tracks.
Now, it's time to dig those bands. :)
Cheers.
Post a Comment