As a child of the 80's/90's, I grew up with MTV and we used to stay up all hours of the night at friends places just waiting for Triple Thrash Treat or for Rock Sound (was that the name of the lame UK equivalent to Headbangers Ball?) to play one or two gems of Thrash or Death Metal - sitting with our finger on the video record button . . .As I remember these videos were absolutely mind-blowing at the time . . .at least these days their raw honesty is more charming that Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth's lame attempts. The last Dimmu Borgir video was the most cringe-worthy thing I had ever seen (Did they hire the special effects team from Babylon 5?!?!) and being subjected to the special features of a Cradle Of Filth DVD some years back, I had the displeasure of listening to the uneducated and loathsome lead guitarist try to explain the concept of their video . . ."yeah well it's like erm . . ..dark and erm . . .gothic . . . ." Why didn't he just admit "we paid some wanker £5000 to rip off Tim Burton"?
Like Isten zine's legendary review of Thus Defiled said, " you're just ruining it for everyone" . . .
Here's some real metal . . .
ENTOMBED - "LEFT HAND PATH"
SEPULTURA - "INNER SELF"
BRUTAL TRUTH - "ILL NEGLECT"
ATROCITY - "BLUT" (some criticize this band - but forgetting everything after this album, I think they were at the top of their game and truly original - tho I will admit some dodgy vocals and terrible lyrics, but hey they were German! It's a shame they lost the plot after this)
LAWNMOWER DETH - "KIDS IN AMERICA" (I once watched them play almost an entire set on their backs at the Marquee back in the early 90s and we laughed so much during their show I almost wet myself - who says metal can't be funny??)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment